Tuesday 18 December 2018

Half way there- living on a prayer!

Bonfire Night seems ages ago! And that was when I had my first chemotherapy treatment. And here I am now at the half way point. This week's blood test showed once again that my white cell count and Neuts are holding their own at a healthy level above that required for treatment to continue.  This week, my chemo appointment was later so I called at The Sanctuary on the way for a blast of Theragem. This gave Chris time for a well earned bit of Sanctuary chill-out time, though she tells me she abstained from cake!

We took the scenic route over to Burnley and played one of my favourite in-car games "what did it used to be called?" Nothing complicated, it just involves shouting out what it used to be called every time you pass a Burnley school. And I'd barely had time to shout "Gawthorpe, Ivy Bank- oh bugger what was that other one called?" before we were pulling into the one available free chemo parking space at the Hospital. 

The unit was the busiest I've ever seen it. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are having chemotherapy treatments. But, as always, we received a friendly welcome and waited a very short amount of time before being taken down to the Green Orchid room to have the cannula fitted. I get a bit excited when trying out a new treatment room and this was my first time in Green Orchid. (I do love the happy, bright colours). However, I don't think my veins liked the green as no way were they cooperating. They'd been a bit reluctant the day before at my blood test appointment and one of the Sisters was called in after the second unsuccessful attempt to extract blood. The problem is, my left arm can't be used because of the lymph thing. The veins higher up in my right arm are knackered so this means my poor right hand is taking a battering with the weekly blood tests and chemo. However, on this occasion all seemed well as the needle found a good vein straight away. Sadly all was not good as my hand swelled up in spectacular style as the saline test was injected. I love the way the nurses humour me and my sense of humour. I warned this one that her colleagues would probably go into hiding if she went for help. She went for help and came back laughing. "I think you're right, they're all hiding!"

The same Sister as Monday came to the rescue and did the deed. Not before we'd had a chat about me having a PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) line fitted. This had been offered at the start of treatment but I didn't fancy the sound of it so persevered without. I don't know what it was about the thought of having a tube inserted into my arm and shoved round my body until it reached my heart that was bothering me really! But its looking like it will become a necessity and I'll have the procedure at the next available appointment- probably after treatment 7. Once again I so appreciate the consideration of the nurses as they reassured me that the appointment will be booked, but if I decide against the procedure that will be fine too. So I've been looking into this PICC thing and, once again, folks who have walked this path before me have come along with  reassurance and advice. Through Mother Google I've seen photographs of people living quite normal lives with a PICC line. There seems to be a wide array of covers and protectors to enable even the most extreme of pursuits. I just need to check that Mountain Biking and high board diving are not compulsory and then I'll be a willing and fully paid-up member of the PICC club. The photos of PICC folks  sunbathing round a pool are very inviting though it has to be said and Chris is quite excited at the prospect of a holiday. I may even get to be a flying PICCit !



Treatment 6 itself was easy and quick with the Piriton sending me off to sleep within minutes. There is something comforting about drifting in and out of sleep with the hum of the chemo lounge in the background. Snap-shot conversations, nurses checking in on people, occasional laughter all punctuated by the beeping of machines as they finish administering the various parts of folks' treatments.


Back home I went straight to bed and slept with the dogs and cats taking it in turns to keep me company. I've been sleeping so much better generally since a lovely lady came to see me with some homeopathic help. In fact, my sleep improved even before I'd tried any of the stuff. A definite reminder of the power of intention and the healing potential of kindness.

So, half way there! I don't think I had many expectations back in November driving to Burnley as the nation prepared to burn effigies of 16th century anti-parliamentarians. There were definitely images that weren't always helpful and I hope sharing and deconstructing some if them here in this blog has been helpful to others. So here we go- chemo journey part two! Many Thanks to folks who continue to read and offer support and encouragement. You really can have no idea how valued and appreciated that support is.

                                                                                   Liz x

















9 comments:

  1. Wow a momentous day as now half way. Well done. I love reading your blogs despite the topic, as your humour and warmth shines through. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless the half way mark. It is such an encourager, and so are you Liz.

    The comfort of that half sleep with the presence of others you know you can trust is something that resonates with me Liz. Do you think it is from our infancy when we must have spent many hours in that situation?It is a beautiful experience I think.
    I wonder if the people around us realise that their presence can bring about such comfort. I hope they do.

    Wishing more comfort, more wellness and more joy, as the finishing line comes into view.

    Love to you both xx (Sheila)





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my gorgeous funny enlightened and EVER SO GENEROUS WOMAN When I had my transplant I had an enormous hole on my neck.pipes galore coming in and out..i should tick my son because he took photos but never let me see them.
      Liz my darling I know very well that the pain of having them getting into the veins in and out is probably worse than the treatment itself Please think of the permanent option? I am looking forward to see you and your Chris tomorrow for the Solstice with Caroline A thousand blessings to you sweetest human ❤️🙏❤️. Liliana

      Delete
  3. Well liz I feel like I’ve been on this journey with you , positive vibes and the love of a good woman ( Chris ) who eats here body weight in ginger nuts has done the trick time to take time out for Christmas both of you and chill time love you both loads merry Christmas and see you both in the new year big hugs 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for making it to half time with such positivity and humour xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz and Chris! You are indeed a powerful and ever so chilled team. I remember it well (being a transplant peep) how hard it got over time for the cannula to go in (so glad you didn't have to have a junior doctor to do it OUCH) And it's half time my dears. I'm convinced that the strength of the LOVE you share will conquer ❤️🙏❤️🌻😊🐕😅xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Half time! Did you have your slice of orange and a good rub down? Seriously I was looking out for your update. You’re in my thoughts and I enjoy being reminded of the way you can see the positive in others whilst being unaware of the amount you give yourself. Take good care. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm full of admiration for the way you have been able to keep positive, and love your humour x You give so much of yourself to others, I appreciate the time I have spent with you at the Hub and Tilly sends her love and licks too! xxxx thanks for the updates :) sending love, healing vibes and hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Spring at last!

I write this at the end of the third week of growing my hair! As you may remember, I had my head shaved last September to raise money, throu...