Saturday 20 October 2018

Can't I just send them a selfie??

So here I am writing a blog!
This is a new experience though I've been told for some time that I should do this. I have a Facebook page that I contribute to regularly but I like to keep that positive, uplifting and humorous- with a hint of fluffy bunny. So why write a blog?

Well, recently I've found myself in very
unfamiliar territory, uncharted waters, up a well-known creek with no apparent means of moving forward. Oh bugger- you
choose the metaphor!

So, in the words of the blessed Julie, I'll start at the very beginning.

The morning of Wednesday 18th July was just an ordinary day in the Whittall-Hill household (yes I know it sounds like a television mast but that's gay marriage for you!). I was running a bit late for my 8.54am appointment at Blackburn Hospital's mobile mammography unit- if only it had been a 8.55am appointment! As I rummaged through our 'important documents' drawer I grumbled to Chris "I really don't have time for this, can't I just send them a selfie?!"

Good sense prevailed and off I set. As always the staff were friendly and welcoming and made having my breasts pummelled by two cold slabs as pleasant an experience as I suppose is possible. The folks on duty this day were particularly cheery- so much so that I asked for their comments book and wrote a thank-you. A short while later I was in my van, heading for Chorley with the heater on to defrost my nipples.

I don't remember the date the letter arrived inviting me to go to Burnley General for a follow-up appointment but it seemed pretty standard. I was even offered the chance to try out a new state of the art mammogram machine they were trialling. I think the letter said it gave 3-d images and could be used for passports or something. Anyway, it sounded like I'd be helping medical research by flashing my breasts- something I was reprimanded for on more than one occasion back in my footballing days. So I consented.

On Wednesday 1st August Chris and I set off for Burnley armed with a bag of sweets and some reading material. Within minutes I was introduced to the sparkly new mammogram machine- and it really was a beast. The radiographer was lovely, very young and I had to stifle the urge to ask her if she'd done her homework, but very patient and pleasant. It wasn't easy to get the image she needed as my 'lump' was high up and deep apparently. I offered to do a headstand but she opted for a more dignified 'tilt the machine' approach. Poor lass told me that her colleagues had been commenting about how she was getting all the easy cases that day. Then along comes old Liz elusive lump! Finally the deed was done and off I went back to the waiting room sporting a large blue cross inked over little lumpy.

A short while later I was called from the room again, this time by my chaperone. It seemed like this adventure was going to become even more exciting- but that's enough for one day!

                                                                                                                             Liz x

    

7 comments:

  1. Love the selfie comment haha keep up the good work liz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I love it! Keep it going Liz. You are a big inspiration to me and like a soothing balm when I'm feeling bad 😊❤️♥️🙏♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good you haven't lost your humour. You kept me going with all your encouragement, despite your own issues. Thank you so much. You are an inspiration. 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really are inspirational Liz - Pat Jeffery told me some time ago that you were a lovely lady and she was right. To be able to share something so potentially traumatic in such a wonderfully relaxed and humorous way takes courage and special communication skills. Keep up the good work. I think this is going to be a very valuable blog <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much love and respect to you and Chris, your humour as always is amazing your a very special lady xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such an inspirational, brave, courageous lady Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant Liz has always a really good way with words one beautiful special lady , with a great sense of humour can’t wait for the next chapter xx

    ReplyDelete

Spring at last!

I write this at the end of the third week of growing my hair! As you may remember, I had my head shaved last September to raise money, throu...