Wednesday 24 October 2018

A firm foundation for recovery!

Certain conversations stand out in my dalliance with Lumpy and the Lymph Nodes. One statement vividly casts a chilling shadow over the journey. Was it, "I'm 99% certain the lump is cancer"? Was it, "You're going to have to have surgery"? Was it, "You'll need six cycles of chemotherapy"?

No, none of the above. What bothered me most was when the lovely Miss Gawne told me, "You'll need to wear a bra after surgery!"

Having discarded my last instrument of torture after the 2006 London Marathon, I have been a contented inhabitant of vests for many years. I've always said, a bra is as much use to me as a Securicor van- I have little to carry around in either! But Miss Gawne warned me that the hard work in surgery would be undone if I didn't re-enter the world of the foundation garment. Chris found this all rather amusing- a bit too amusing I feel. And it was with great relish that she arrived home one day with two monstrous sports bras. No way on this planet were either of those contraptions going anywhere near my blue and battered booby! So, in the absence of an adult-sized liberty bodice, I settled instead for one of Chris's old bras. An interesting colour that had evolved from decades of sharing a washing machine with all manner of shades.

So, armed with this trusty support, what was it OK to do? My feet started to twitch and I was raring to go and get back to my busy life. Truth was that I couldn't. Apart from the fact that Chris and those closest to me had laid down the law regarding recovery, I just didn't have the energy to do much. My mind was active but my body was fooked. I asked my lovely breast care nurse whether this was to do with the cancer or the cancer treatment. Her reply was- its both so just rest. I couldn't really argue with that! I did get some Hub admin done and was quite chuffed with myself for managing to order incense on line. But who'd have known that 'a box' meant a box of 12 boxes! I started to realise why the post-op advice included 'do not sign any legal documents and do not make important decisions'.

In the days immediately after surgery, Chris and I had the luxury of time. Time to plan some changes at home- tidying, organising, preparing for winter and stuff that we'd need some help with. So we had a quiet few restful yet constructive days up to and over the weekend. Chris changed the green summer covers on the suite for my favourite Autumn red and we snuggled up in the front room for most of the weekend in front of a log fire watching our favourite 'Escape to the Country' and other easy viewing on TV. Cosy, relaxed and fun- putting the 'hehe' into healing and most definitely starting to see the gift in this situation!


On Monday A couple of guys arrived at 8am to do some jobs for us. Its fair to say, our last few busy years had led to us neglecting our home somewhat. And it was so good to get the kitchen, hall and landing decorated. And we finally got the new bath fitted that had been propped up in the front bedroom for 6 months because no one could find the stop cock to turn off the water!

All the hard work was
accompanied by kindness and
humour. Not least the day I was snoozing. There was a knock at the door and in walked two grufty builders to tell me it was time for my bed bath! The bath in question was our old one that I'd heard them swearing at earlier- now sitting in two pieces outside the front door!


I definitely felt loved and cared for- by those immediately around me who were focused on my greatest and highest good- despite my resistance at times. And one massive source of support was the healing so many folks were sending me. I was very much conscious of a Reiki cloud that was just waiting for me to draw from whenever I had a bit of a wobble. I did return to work after the weekend- if leading a Relaxation and Meditation group can be called work! And just over a week after surgery Chris and I set of for a Shamanic Retreat we'd booked before I knew Lumpy was lurking. From surgery to Scotland in eight days!



 



                                                                                                                       Liz X


                                                                                                          


                                                                                                                        
 
 
















































                                                                                                     


4 comments:

  1. Hi Liz, it's Liliana. You are amazing! Your strength and trust are very inspirational to me. I remember once when I was bad wording my drum and you turned round and said 'Trust'. Now I understand that a little better. Keep it up you beautiful human being ❤️😊♥️🙏♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. My love goes out to you both, you are both doing amazing love the blog and I think it’s a brilliant idea to write everything down , definitely need a book of your life’s work next xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz you are an inspiration to the world. Much love. Pat (gong bath) xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Spring at last!

I write this at the end of the third week of growing my hair! As you may remember, I had my head shaved last September to raise money, throu...